[Sca-cooks] Rock Candy and Quinces

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Feb 5 19:31:26 PST 2003

Someone queried me offlist regarding the Nostradamus.
The English translation that has the candy recipe as well
as other preserving recipes is:
The Elixirs of Nostradamus
 Nostradamus' Original Recipes for Elixirs, Scented Water, Beauty
Potions and Sweetmeats
edited by Knut Boeser. Bloomsbury, 1994.
ISBN: 07475-1961-7

The work was originally published in the 1550's; dates and titles of the
original vary in their cataloguing. I do own a
facsimile dated 1557 that includes the preserving recipes.

Boeser's translation includes among other things--
How to Preserve Lemon Peel
    How to Preserve Pumpkins
    Preserving Bitter Oranges in Sugar or Honey
    How to Preserve Green, Unripe Almands in Sugar
    How to Make a Superb Quince Jelly
    How to Preserve Limes
    How to Preserve Quartered Quinces in One Day
    Preserving Quinces Individually in Boiled Wine
    How to Preserve the Peel or Rind of the Roots of the Large Blue
Alkanet in Sugar
    Preserving Muscadel or Similar Pears in Sugar
    How to Make an Attractive Candied Sugar
    How to Make a Confection from Pine-nut Kernels
    How to Make Marzipan
    How to Make Penide Sugar

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

There are numerous mentions as to making candy crystals