[Sca-cooks] Favorite Venison recipes

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Feb 8 11:19:32 PST 2003

Helewyse wrote:

>I made out like a bandit this week.  About two months
>ago I started talking to everyone I knew that might
>either go hunting for deer or know someone who did.  I
>really wanted some venison.  Well my dreams came true
>a little more generously than expected.  I now am the
>proud owner of:
>1 venison heart

I have almost no experience with venison, but I have a good period
recipe for heart. It's in the Miscellany, but I'll also put it below.
----------
Corat
Curye on Inglysch p. 100 (Forme of Cury no. 14)

Take the noumbles of calf, swyne, or of shepe; perboile hem and kerue
hem to dyce. Cast hem in gode broth and do þerto erbes, grene
chybolles smale yhewe; seeþ it tendre, and lye with yolkes of eyren.
Do þerto verious, safroun, powdour douce and salt, and serue it forth.

1 lb calf heart
1 10 oz can conc. beef broth + 1 can water
"herbs":	4 oz spinach
	4 oz turnip greens
6 oz scallions
8 egg yolks
1/4 c verjuice
12 threads saffron
powder douce:  2 t sugar, 2 t cinnamon, 1/2 t ginger
1 t salt

Parboil heart in 4 c water: bring water to boil, add heart, bring
back to boil, total time about 4 minutes. Drain. Cut heart in 1/2"-1"
cubes. Put with broth and chopped washed greens, simmer about 20
minutes. Stir in beaten egg yolks, turn off heat. Add verjuice,
saffron (crushed into water), spices, salt, and serve it forth.

Numbles means innards. We suspect the title of the recipe is derived
from the French word for "heart" and therefore use heart, but it is
also good made with kidney.
-------
Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook