[Sca-cooks] Favorite Venison recipes

Carol Eskesen Smith BrekkeFranksdottir at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 11 16:52:39 PST 2003

Since you have "venison hamburger", why not go all the way?  This is lovely, and probably doesn't need to be encased, though that's always a plus.
Regards,
Brekke
Venison Sausage

Venison Shoulder 4 lb
Pork Butt 2 lb
* Pork Fat Back 2 lb
* Slab Bacon (optional) 1 lb
garlic, minced 1 Tbsp
shallot, minced (optional) 1 Tbsp
Juniper, crushed 2 Tbsp
* Salt NOTE: This is cut over 50% from original recipe! 0.25 C
Black Pepper, coarse ground 2 Tbsp
Rosemary 1.5 tsp dry or 1 Tbsp fresh
* Brandy or Calvados 0.375 C
* Dry Red Wine 1 C
Medium hog casings
* Notes: I use 4 lb venison and 5 lb pork; I’ve never used the fat back or bacon.
Recipe originally called for 0.75 C Salt; this is WAY to excessive, even for me!
Last class we made these we used an oak-aged ciser and homemade red wine, 1 C each, in 1 recipe. I believe that when we used Calvados, we actually used only it for the total liquid. If we used anything else, we used red wine.   (This is the one I think came out best!)