[Sca-cooks] Re: Trimaris, Re: PM Proposal

Diamond Randall ringofkings at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 9 08:38:39 PST 2003

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

What on Earth are these people talking about? 400 AVERAGE attendance?
I realize that some kingdoms have enourmous one day events with numbers
like that, but not EVERY kingdom.  Here in Meridies, we have numbers
closer to an average of 100.  This, I believe, is just because of differences
in
the tradition of what constitutes an event.  In Meridies, this means to a
large
extent FOOD.   Looking in Popular Chivalry, our newsletter, I find average
event fees for weekend events to be about $20.  This includes (customarily)
feast, 2 breakfasts, Friday night travelers board, and occasionally Saturday
lunch.  On top of this it includes (usually) cabin lodging.  I suppose that if
you live in the vicinity of a state with a mundane population of over
50,000,000,
you can have shire event attendance of 500+ and kingdom events of
2,000 or so.   This is NOT going to happen everywhere.  In the central US,
distances between baronies average 200 to 300 miles apart or more and
there are precious few shires with more than 3 groups closer than 150 miles
apart.   Here in Meridies, an event without a feast is rare (almost heresy)
and
the number of sites that can seat 400 at feast are counted on one hand.
I would think this would be true in Calontir as well.  OUR average events
are tremendously lower in attendance.  400 is a very large event in Meridies.