[Sca-cooks] Favorite Venison recipes

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Thu Feb 13 14:56:13 PST 2003

Soffya declared:
> My favorite recipe is so UNperiod!  When we used to go hunting I'd bring a
8" cast iron skillet. After a fresh kill while daddy was hanging the deer
and wiping it down with milk, I'd start dinner.
> I'd put about 2 inches of good oil and put a sprinkling of water.  While
it was heating up I'd take the tenderloin, cut into medallions, dip in
Chinese 5 spice powder.  Then lay aside until oil starts popping.
> When oil starts popping (because of the water drops in it), I'd put the
medallions in and sear them for about 2-4 minutes each side or until it was
browned.<

    Your recipe  may not be that "unperiod."  The 5 spice powder
notwithstanding --tho a hunter from then may have used their own poudre
forte/spice mix.    What drew you to your conclusion?

Caointiarn