[Sca-cooks] Re; Philly Cheese Steak

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Feb 16 04:40:00 PST 2003

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Adamantius commented:
>>I remember being rather embarrassed, looking for decent pizza in New
>>York with Stefan and his lady wife, Alice. It was just that we were
>>in the wrong neighborhood... it happens.
>Oh! I hadn't realized you were embarrassed. I'm sorry. Still it was a
>
>nice trip and it was nice getting to meet you in person. If we ever get up
>into that area again, perhaps we can do it again and pick an area that is
>known for its pizza. Or other ethnic foods. Of course even many of the
>non-Chinese New Year meals that I've heard you describe making would seem to
>beat many of these other places, hands down.

It was probably the alignment of the planets or something; no need to
be sorry. It's just that where we were at the time, in the allowable
time frame, was probably the last time and place one would look in
New York for good pizza. (The South Street Seaport at 2PM on a
weekday, as I recall.) I just remember at the time, thinking that
this wasn't anything anybody would travel more than a thousand miles
to eat.

It was still better than Pizza Hut, Dominoes, or Little Caesar's,
though, and possibly better than Papa John's (a national chain whose
output I have never physically encountered). Just nowhere near the
thing of hand-stretched, crunchy, lacy, high-gluten-flour beauty that
is New York pizza. Or is supposed to be, anyway.

Adamantius