[Sca-cooks] period rib recipes

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Feb 18 19:20:25 PST 2003

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Adamantius commented:
>>For many people in
>>the East, their complete picture of me looking like Fred Flintstone
>>includes the image of me carrying Bronto Ribs to a head table at one
>>Coronation. It was an entire beef rib section, trimmed to look like
>>one of those little bitty racks of lamb... people speak of the table
>>sinking down an inch or two when the roast was put before the Crown.
>Was this from a particular period rib recipe?
>I have only this one little file that has period rib recipes and information:
>
>ribs-msg          (10K)  6/30/02    Period rib recipes.
>http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/roast-meats-msg.html
>
>Although a search of the Florilegium finds a number of referances to "ribs",
>most of the entries have little to do with eating. So, I'd love to see more
>recipes or period referances to the cooking of ribs. For instance there is one
>referance to ribs in my stews-bruets file, but that is not usually what they
>think of when they think of cooking ribs.

True. I think you, as a Texan, have a genetic circuit that responds
immediately to the possibility of beef short or spare ribs ;-).

No, this was simply a whole rib roast, the bones untrimmed but
scraped free of all meat but the rib eye itself, and sawn free of the
spinal structure. As I said, a much larger, beef equivalent to a rack
of lamb. Basically a prime rib roast, about 45 pounds, roasted over
aromatic vegetables.

There must have been a sauce, but I forget what it was. Knowing me,
at this time, there was probably a pepper sauce, a garlic sauce, and
a mustard.

Adamantius