[Sca-cooks] New to sca list

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Feb 23 18:10:11 PST 2003

> I would like to go to a three day event I have two picked and course food is
> a major concern.
>
> I have bought a small potable stove, a Dutch oven, a cast iron grill that
> also has a flat serves.
>
> It hard to know what I should invest in next as for making a good kitchen.

That sounds like a great start!

First, what kinds of food are you interested in eating? Do you plan to
have cooked breakfast and lunch as well as suppers?

I would suggest that bread/cheese/fruit etc. for lunches is something you
will want to consider, because it allows you (and anyone else you are
feeding) to just take food when they have a break in the day.

There are a number of good period breakfasty dishes (Hanoney, which is
scrambled eggs with onions, and there is also a french-toast-like dish).
These aren't harder to cook than regular breakfast.

For dinner, you might want to consider a dish like Egredouce, which is a
kind of pork or beef stew, with a little vinegar, and thickened with
breadcrumbs.

I know there are a number of good camp cooking articles out there, though
I don't have my bookmark list with me. Look for the articles on camp
cooking by Betty Cook; also try looking for Stefan's Florilegium.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Lend our voices only to sounds of freedom/ No longer lend our strength to
that which we wish to be free from/Fill lives with love and bravery/
And we shall lead a life uncommon." -- Jewel, _Life Uncommon_