[Sca-cooks] New to sca list

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 23 20:46:50 PST 2003

Tsara said:
>  My name is Tsara. I am I Gyldenholt. I think I spelled that right? That
> Orange County California.

Is that your SCA persona name? or your real name?

> We are new to the Sca and one of the many reason I joined was because of the
> opportunity to learn new recipes. This I get to try new things.

Welcome to the SCA and to SCA-Cooks!

> I have bought a small potable stove, a Dutch oven, a cast iron grill that
> also has a flat serves.

Do you have some reasonable feastgear? Eating utensils, plates, drinking
vessels, etc?

These files in the Florilegium might be of interest:

Feast-Basket-art   (7K) 10/18/00    "The Well-Tempered Feast Basket: a guide
for newcomers" by Lady Jehanne de Huguenin.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Feast-Basket-art.html
feastgear-msg     (26K)  5/ 9/00    Obtaining feastgear for use in the SCA.
                                        cleaning wooden feastgear.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/feastgear-msg.html

You might also find some of the other files in the NEWCOMERS section to be of
interest.

> It hard to know what I should invest in next as for making a good kitchen.
>
> The last event we went to I took a group of my teen friends who may join us
> for some other events. I brought shish kabobs. Not I big hit with his
> friends. Some walking by lead to believe that these were far from not
> period.  Is this so???

It probably depends upon your definition of "period". Where and when? Shish
kabobs might be period for the medieval Middle East but not Europe.

> I also made some bread and stuffed it with cheeses, herbs, bacon and
> sausage. I am sure that this was not period. But that they ate three large
> loaves of.

I'm not sure of that particular combination, but there are some period
'stuffed bread' recipes. The biggest problem is that actual period bread
recipes are in short supply.

bread-stuffed-msg (28K)  7/21/99    Period stuffed bread. Rastons. Recipes.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/bread-stuffed-msg.html

> I also made something called Gypsy tart. That was cream whipped until
> thickened and then I blended brown sugar and baked in phylo dough. This took
> longer to set up then I was lead to believe. And the dough was not crisp as
> I had hoped for. I think perhaps if I cook the dough first then added the
> filling that this would have turned out better.

I believe phylo dough itself is post-period. How were you baking this? I'm not
sure whether there were medieval pastries like this or not. If you are
interested in pastries or desserts, you might be interested in some of the
files in the FOOD-BREADS section of the Florilegium including:

14C-Sweets-art    (17K)  9/14/00    "Sweets and Treats of the 14C"
                                       by Lady Hauviette d'Anjou.
3-Span-Sweets-art (13K)  4/26/01    Three Spanish sweet dishes from de Nola by
                                       Vicente.
Andlsn-Pstres-art (20K) 11/24/01    "Andalusian Pastries" by Dinah bint Ismai'l.
baklava-msg       (56K)  2/17/03    Period baklava-like layered pastries.
  (This file has some info on phylo dough)

pastries-msg     (117K)  7/16/02    Medieval pastries. Recipes.
Roses-a-Sugar-art (21K)  7/15/98    "Divers Pretty Things Made Of Roses &
Sugar" by Mistress Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
Rosquillas-msg    (15K)  6/20/01    Spanish pastry of biscotti-like rings.

> I could go but I will spare you with that for now.

Well, looking through the Florilegium might help answer some of your
questions. Then again, it might raise a number of new ones. But go ahead and
ask your questions here. Besides, we've been spending a fair amount of
bandwidth on non-period foods, so such questions might bring us back to them.

Stefan

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com