[Sca-cooks] Re: whole-grain breads

sjk3 at cornell.edu sjk3 at cornell.edu
Mon Feb 24 11:44:12 PST 2003

>An oldie, but a goodie:
>     Bernard Clayton, Jr's Complete book of breads, Simon & Schuster, 500pp,
>1973--so old that it doesn't have ISBN inside the book!  Contents include:
>white breads, bran breads, whole wheat, rye, barley, corn, buckwheat, oat,
>blended grain, starters & sour-doughs, salt-rising, potato, fruit & spice...
>Hmm.  Now that I'm retired...  Maybe I should read this one again....
>     Devra (who was originally called the baker for good reason)

    A quick check at bookfinder.com shows several copies of Clayton's "New
Complete Book of Breads" (1987).  Does anybody know how this compares to
the original edition?  Sometimes later editions are expanded and
improved.  Sometimes the newer editions have been updated to be trendy or
"easier to use" (read pre-fab ingredients).  What's the case here?
Should I go for the new edition?

Sandra