[Sca-cooks] Regarding Scappi

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Feb 26 17:45:59 PST 2003

Scappi is 1570. It was written for and reflects the Papal Court.

There has never been a translation from the Italian into English.
I think that given the origin of the recipes there wasn't a reason
for the English to want the recipes of the Papacy or think that
the book would be a best-seller in Elizabeth's England.

I hope you read and are fluent in Italian.

Only scattered recipes have been translated. You might
want to see Anne Willan's Great Cooks and Their Recipes for her
chapter on Scappi. That will give you a taste in English.

https://www.fornieditore.com/index_US.html is the
website of Arnaldo Forni which publishes the facsimile.

the entry for Scappi--
Scappi Bartolomeo, Opera. Dell'arte del cucinare (Venetia, 1570).
 (TG) Presentazione di G. Roversi. Voll. 2 in-8, pp. 924, tavv.
 28 f.t., br.       [2292 3]

Any good ILLoan department ought to be able to locate
a copy of the facsimile. Unless they refuse to loan in from
a university library, it's there and available.

I can verify locations and numbers if you want to contact me offlist.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

Jane Massey wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I only have a few photcopied recipes from Scappi
 and was wondering if someone could give me some more
 info as to the relative time period/region that these
 recipes come from for my documentation. I would love
 to get a hold of a full copy and translation if there
 is one available.  The local libraries cannot even
 seem to get one via library loan.
 Does anyone know where I might get a copy?