[Sca-cooks] Regarding Scappi

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 26 18:05:31 PST 2003

What you are looking for is:  Opera di M. Bartolomeo Scappi, Cuoco Secreto
di Papa Pio Quinto : diuisa in sei libri...

The book was first published in 1570 by Michele Tramezzino of Venice.  The
third edition of 1596 by Alessandro Vecchi (Venice) is the one commonly
reprinted, being the first to use woodcuts.

I know of no translation, but there is a current Italian edition available.
Devra is selling it for $140.  While Devra has it flagged as a facsimile of
the 1560 edition, I suspect it is the 1596 edition.  If Devra has it, then
it may be possible to get a copy through ILL.

Bear

I only have a few photcopied recipes from Scappi and was wondering if
someone could give me some more info as to the relative time period/region
that these recipes come from for my documentation. I would love to get a
hold of a full copy and translation if there is one available.  The local
libraries cannot even seem to get one via library loan. Does anyone know
where I might get a copy?

Thanx in advance,
Lavender de Morten
Barony of Tir-y-don, Atlantia