[Sca-cooks] Sugar Paste, Not Dead Flesh!

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 27 09:18:29 PST 2003

Alys Katherine wrote:

> Well, it obviously helps if you have someone showing you.  (Take a
> class in gum paste?  It's the same thing, but modern.)  Too wet
> sugar paste sticks to your fingers and the board you are kneading
> on.  Too dry is crumbly paste, won't form a ball.  When you try to
> roll it out it won't roll well, it cracks like too dry pie dough.

I was doing my homework for the Wilton's class last evening,
coloring their packaged "rolling fondant" for the "crazy quilt" cake
and I totally understand what you mean.  A solid hit of
paste coloring =just= put it over the edge of doughy pliability and
straight into stickiness.  Glorious goo.  If malachite were
the texture of taffy, it would be just like this stuff.

> Gee... I really should make a trip out to ...??? (California??)  My
> daughter lives in San Francisco and wants me to visit...

Well, this sounds like a great excuse for a list get-together.
Jared keeps wanting to go visit the West and our friends there.
It's pouring down rain though, I'd wait a month at least.

I've had a look at the picture Olwen mentioned
http://www.shado.info/ct-11-02-2002/DSCN0316.JPG
and it is just too fun!  Our barony is going to have new
baronial coronets made, hmmm, maybe we need to
do up "rough drafts" in edible form?

Selene C.