[Sca-cooks] Kosher or Not

Rovena rovena at softdisk.com
Thu Feb 27 20:48:53 PST 2003

To be kosher is not just a matter of ingredients.  The word "kosher"
 means "properly prepared".  This applies to ingredients, to how animals
were killed, to the dishes used.

All vegetables are okay as are minerals.

Any food from the sea that has fins and scales are okay.
All birds except birds of prey are okay.
Mammals must have a cloven-hoof and chews a cud.

Mammals & birds must be properly prepared.  They must be ritually
slaughtered, have been healthy when alive, have all forbidden parts
removed, and be free of blood - - the shohet will handled this during
the slaughtering.

Meat can not be mixed with diary products.  Eggs have a whole bnch of
rules of their own.

You have to have separate dishes, kitchen utensils, silverware, and dish
towels for meat meals and diary meals.  These items are to be kept
separate at all times from cleaning, using, and storing.

A kitchen or an item has ever used for non-kosher meals is teref; once
contaminated it is never ksoher again.

The typical SCA event is held at non-kosher sites so you can't prepare a
kosher meal there.