[Sca-cooks] Kosher or Not

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 27 21:23:42 PST 2003

On 27 Feb 2003, at 22:48, Rovena wrote:

> A kitchen or an item has ever used for non-kosher meals is teref; once
> contaminated it is never ksoher again.

Most kitchen appliances and utensils can be kashered (made kosher again).
 The methods vary, according to the purpose and material of the item, but
immersion in boiling water is used for many things.  For SCA purposes,
kashering a feast kitchen would be wildly impractical.

> The typical SCA event is held at non-kosher sites so you can't prepare a
> kosher meal there.

Not a whole feast, no.  As I understand it, there are ways to prepare kosher
food in a non-kosher kitchen.  For example, baking something which has
been tightly wrapped in aluminum foil.

I do not keep kosher myself, but this is what I have read in various books and
websites about Orthodox Jewish practice.

http://www.okkosher.com/Content.asp?ID=115
http://www.koshernews.com/regulati.htm

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net