Liability? Re: [Sca-cooks] cooks first aid kit- the Chirurgeon speaks...

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Thu Jan 16 09:19:52 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kirsten Houseknecht" <kirsten at fabricdragon.com>
<grin>
> i have the epi...
> I had to give my epi pen to a paramedic at one convention because
they were
> trying to get someones heart started....and no ambulance or medical
> anywhere.. just one poor off duty paramedic.
> i understand the patient lived to get to the hospital, i have no idea
if
> they recovered.
> i am personally campaigning to have every major Barony have an
AED....
> Kirsten

No idea what an AED is, but did want to mention that with any
'official' provision of any service or materials come additional
exposure to liability. You may never get litigated, and there are
varying laws in varying states (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not start a
thread about injury and liability laws in your state).  Exposure is
always increased.  It gets stickier if a local group provides something
as they are legal entities of the corporate body, so there are all sorts
of things to consider and include in the decision making process.

A choice made in Boston, Mass could ultimately affect SCA people on
Seattle, Washington.  I'm no conspiracy theorist or doom sayer, just
raising the issue of liability exposure . . . like if your Barony
advertises that there staff is food safety certified.  That
certification potentially holds your group to a different standard than
some schmo amateur coming in from the trailer park to cook a feast.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco