[Sca-cooks] deep frying

Leslie Watson leslie.watson at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 19 08:56:34 PST 2003

> Message: 10
> From: "Nancy Kiel" <nancy_kiel at hotmail.com>
> To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Question about Camp Food
> Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:22:17 -0500
>
> I thought that deep fat frying (submerging food completely in fat) was a
> modern technique.  When did it first come into use?  And if you were deep
> fat frying, wouldn't you use a down-hearth set-up, with a "burner" of
coals
> separate from the main fire, rather than putting all that fuel directly
over
> the fire?
>

> Nancy Kiel
> nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
> A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.   Emerson

Deep frying or deep fat frying is not a modern idea, there is some debate
about the origins.  It orginiated in Southern India, with the people there
using Ghee to fry in.  Also I beleive at the same time they where deep
frying food stuffs in the middle east. Well before the middle ages.

 In Europe, since at least the 14th century they where making fritters,
(deep fried) in Italy and most of the rest of Europe.  Also I bleive deep
frying was done a lot for other food in Germany.  That is just I can not
confirm, as it is not my area of expertise.  That is just off the top of my
head if you want more indepth research, let me know and I will pull out some
of the stuff I have

Aibhilin