[Sca-cooks] OT: And this just in...

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Jan 30 08:11:23 PST 2003

Hullo, the list!

This morning's New York Times has a little article about new
guidelines for humane pork farming. To the best of my recollection...
Apparently, pig farmers will be required to provide straw or wood
chips specifically for the pigs to satisfy their natural rooting urge.

Spokespeople for the European Union, however, denied allegations that
farmers would be required to provide balls (I guess like those
ball-filled rooms in playgrounds, fast-food restaurant play areas,
and Discovery Zone) for the pigs to play with, although I gather
balls were suggested as a possible alternative rooting material.

All this lending new credence to the advertising expression, "made
from contented hogs", I guess.

Adamantius