[Sca-cooks] Okay, it's that time of year again...

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Jan 31 13:11:59 PST 2003

Also sprach Daniel Myers:
>On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 01:37 PM, Susan Fox-Davis wrote:
>>
>>Most SCA personae come from a time before these were brought to China,
>>probably by
>>the Portuguese, not before 1520.  However, this would be a good
>>weekend for Shrimp
>>in Chili Sauce anyway as long as you are not doing SCA cooking.  [One
>>of my rare
>>moments of stuffy purism -- treasure it!]
>
>One of my cow-orkers is still convinced that hot peppers originated in
>India (he's from there).

I know a Chinese guy who makes the same claim for China, in spite of
the fact that A) there appears to be no written reference in Chinese
documents prior to 1492, and B) no fossil evidence has been
discovered.

Which is interesting, because Chinese explorers may well have crossed
the Pacific. They could easily have discovered chilis; it just seems
that they didn't.

Anyway, the guy just responds with:

A1) ...known to WESTERN historians, and B1) ...acknowledged by
WESTERN scientists

So, anyway, I couldn't help myself; and I went on at great length
about Da Man, and how _Da Man_ is  _conspiring_ to _cheat_ these
people of their hot pepper birthright.

Adamantius, going offline, speaking of fiery stuff ;-)