[Sca-cooks] Re: Sorta OT, but important - cats and thread

Nathan Clarenburg clarenburg at msn.com
Thu Jan 2 01:40:03 PST 2003

I experienced a similar incident years ago when my kitten swallowed the
string that had wrapped a beef roast.  She was attracted by the juices
impregnating the cord.  My vet recommended immediately forcing her to ingest
a little peroxide to make her vomit it up.

He said the threat came from the string tangling in the intestines which
could cause a blockage and agonizing death.  A secondary threat would
materialize if it passed through her intestines when it began passing the
anus -- she'd probably try to pull it out which might slice open the large
intestines.

I'm very glad your cat came through safely.

-Nathan