[Sca-cooks] Re: Sorta OT, but important - cats and thread

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Thu Jan 2 16:46:30 PST 2003

i have been told that between Thanksgiving and New Year the vets assume if a
cat is brought in for ANY reason that they should check for string..
between the ornaments, the roasts, and the wrapping ribbons, it is a
hazardous time for cats.  apparently the roast strings are a particular
hazard.

by the by, we lost on a few years back from his intestings getting clogged
after he ate a string of ivy.. we didnt make much of him eating it because
it wasnt "toxic"  (not that i was happy about it either) but apparently the
vine impacted his intestines and by the time we knew he was sick it was too
late.

a former housemate lost a cat from string.. and this after one vet  said it
wasnt string...so we continued treatment as prescribed and had to take him
toPenn emergency vet three days later .. THEY found the string still wrapped
under his tongue... where the first vet had said there was no string.
if we had gotten him in to surgery at that time we could have saved him....
Kirsten
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com

"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."