[Sca-cooks] Re: Debatable Crown

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 3 18:56:58 PST 2003

>Duke Cariadoc, do you have any thoughts on this?
>What about you, Poppa
>Gunthar?
>
>'Lainie

Well, I've only reigned once although I do hope to
have the honor again someday if my life is in order.
Unfortunately, there are as many reasons for winning
Crown as there are people who fight in it. I've
been trained by one of the top fighters in the SCA
who was a "Once and Every Other King" and his reasons
for winning were varied from every Crown.

There are those egomaniacs who do it just to show they
have the largest set of genitalia of the bunch. Frequently
cheating to gain that "honor". There are some who just
feel that if they don't give their best then they dishonor
the tournament and the kingdom. Some do it for their
consorts. I've seen several multi-dukes who did it so
their lady could become a duchess after they met "the
right one".

Who makes the best King? I dunno.
I've seen overt rhino-hides become very good Kings and
good Dukes after they get that monkey off their backs.
I've seen extremely honorable fighters become horrid
Kings. I don't care much about winning several times
over. Those who go for the record sometimes neglect the
kingdom or become blind with their own power because
if anyone disagrees with them then they will just win
again and change the kingdom back the way they want it.
That's a sad thing most times.

One thing I enjoyed about Ansteorra when I left and also
like about Atenveldt is that there is no one or two top
fighters who control the kingdom. In both kingdoms there
is a top tier of fighters who are very good, but no one
of them dominates. There is no guarantee that "Duke X"
will always win Crown so their rules rule. I loved the
fact that the two main power groups weren't as active
or powerful so that the kingdom could grow in its own
way.

Many multi-rulers learn their lessons and become very
competant and beloved but it sometimes takes a few reigns
before they figure it out.

I think if a magic fairy came and granted me the power to
be the greatest fighter who ever lived, I wouldn't want
to win more than maybe two Crowns. Three to show I could
do it and possibly make my lady-love a duchess. Or if
the kingdom were in crisis and it needed an experienced
hand at the keel. But a Crown should NEVER be won just
to satisfy the ego of the person swinging the stick.

Even the greatest Duke should always keep in mind that,
even though this is very real and very important to us,
all winning a Crown means is that you are the top weirdo
in this strange costume party. When skateboarders get more
recognition and acclaim than our greatest dukes people should
keep their heads right where they belong.

Yers,

Gunthar
Still not King