[Sca-cooks] Heraldry in Solteties?

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Tue Jan 7 18:14:48 PST 2003

>--
>
>Can anyone point me toward some documentation of using Heraldry in
>Solteties in our Time Frame?
>Mordonna

See the last part of this.

Du fait de cuisine, by Master Chiquart, 1420 recipe #5 ...heads of boars
endored and armed and with banners and spitting fire... soaked in fine
ardent spirits and purified with a little camphor."

I'm going to abbreviate this, Chiquart was very long-winded:

#5...for an entremet, heads of boars endored and armed and with banners and
spitting fire...when they have their boars' heads dressed, singed, and well
washed and cleaned, let them open the mouths and put in each a stick to
hold it open, and then put them in large fair and clean cauldrons to cook
in water and wine and enough salt; and take the two front feet of the said
boar and clean them well and properly and put them to cook with the said
heads, and do not let them overcook. 6. And to begin the colorings a great
many eggs are needed according to the quantity of heads... there should be
a great quantity of best wheat flour, and a great deal of parsley which is
well cleaned and prepared for braying; and the said eggs should be
separated, and put the whites in one place, and the yolks in another, and
let them be raw; and to make a green coloring take a great quantity of
parsley, and let it be well cleaned, washed, and drained, and let it be
well and strongly brayed and then mixed with the said egg whites and wheat
flour together; and then when all of this is well mixed...[strain it] into
a large...bowl; and for the gold coloring mix the ...wheat flour and ...egg
yolks, and also eggs to thin the stuff; and powdered saffron... and this
should be in measure so that it does not make it too reddish; and mix this
well together and strain...into a ...clean bowl. And ...when the... boars'
heads are cooked, and not so much that the meat comes off the bones , and
the feet also, ...[take them up & dry them ]...and take your heads and spit
them carefully, and then take the two front feet of the boar and arm and
endore each head  in putting and attaching them well and adroity to each
side of the head at the base near the ears... by good skewers...put them to
roast until they are a little firm. And then take your green and yellow
colorings, and put the green...on one part of each head and on the other
part put the yellow...and ...put them to dry well ...on each side...and
take care [not to cook them too much] so that the colorings do not turn
black. And then afterward remove and take them off the spit, and let them
be put on ...boards to dry out, and ...[have the] painters to endore the
heads with gold leaf. ...to make them ...cast out fire from the throat,
take a double wicked candle and wrap it all around with cotton which should
be soaked in fine ardent spirits and purified with a little camphor. And so
that things be done as honorably [as possible]...the master cook should ask
...who is at the ...feast and what arms each one...has, so that the ...arms
can be put on banners, to put on each [boar's ] head the banner of the lord
before whom it will be set.

HTH,

Cindy