[Sca-cooks] Heraldry in Solteties?

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 7 18:28:49 PST 2003

I'm not sure if this helps, but _Du Fait de Cuisine_ mentions making a blancmange divided into 4
colors on one plate.  You could do this with the heraldic colors of the device.  This book also
features some of the most AMAZING descriptions of sotleties I've ever seen (though not necessarily
heraldic) on a really large scale.

_Food and Feast in Medieval England_ mentions a banquet held after the coronation of Katherine,
wife of Henry V that featured:
-a pelican on it's nest (emblem of piety) works for SCA heraldry for someone on vigil for pelican
-St Katherine (partoness of learning) holding a wheel (symbol of her martyrdom) know anybody with
wheels on their device?
-a heraldic tiger looking in the mirror, with a man riding away carrying a tiger's whelp and
throwing down mirrors behind him (in medieval ledgend the tiger can't resist looking in the mirror,
thus to give her one was the only way to rob her of her young).
They also mention an eagle (agnus dei) at the inagural feast of  John Chaundler as Bishop of
Salisbury - sort of a religious heraldry?

Most accounts seem to inicate these sotleties could get pretty elaborate, like painting or
sculpture of the time brought to life in sugar, etc.  There are often representations of
individuals (political, religious) so there's nothing saying you couldn't portray them wearing thir
arms..

That's all I can find for now, if I see anything else I'll let you know.
Faerisa