[Sca-cooks] Wild weather

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Jan 11 10:09:42 PST 2003

There's been a lot of weather stuff back and forth, relating to where you
live, and having dealt with most type of conditions, I've learned this:

Weather/earthquakes/whatever are going to happen wherever you live. The only
way to deal with it is by pre-preparation, and choosing your residence
carefully.

If you don't like volcanos, don't buy a house on the side of one. If you
don't like floods, don't live on a flood plain. If you don't like
hurricanes, don't live by the ocean, particularly farther south on the east
coast. If you don't like tornadoes, don't live in tornado alley, or of you
do, try to live halfway up the side of a hill, on the eastern slope. If you
don't like earthquakes, you're out of luck- I felt one in Ohio a few years
ago.

What you do need to do is decide what trade-offs you're willing to make. If
you want to live in an area, what are you willing to do to make sure you're
safe? That can go anywhere from living in a house with a bombshelter-type
basement, and electrical generators, to just making sure you know where your
emergency supplies are at all times.

At my place in Ohio, I bought a 170 year old house with a basement, got my
water from my cistern, keep kerosene and kerosene heaters handy, have a
large supply of canned goods and dried foods to hand, and could unexpectedly
deal with a major disaster without suffering, even in the middle of winter,
for a week without leaving the house- longer, if I didn't need to use the
kerosene for heat.

And, this wasn't paranoid preparation, it was just buying carefully (old
houses tend to be old because nothing has destroyed them) and buying a bit
extra every time I went to the store.

Personally, I'd be much more worried about the nutso drivers out there, than
I would a major disaster, if I were inclined to worry about that sort of
thing.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,