[Sca-cooks] Re: Safety

kris ionization at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 13 21:32:10 PST 2003

>Message: 11
>From: "Kirsten Houseknecht" <kirsten at fabricdragon.com>
>last time i helped in a kitchen i was  handed hand goo to "wash up" and then
>set to the task of making salad, by tearing the lettuce.
>that was a bare hands on food job......... i wahsed my hands first, but no
>one asked me to, they asked me to use the hand goo
>(and at that they were doing better than many non SCA cooking experiences i
>have had)
>Kirsten

Oh my. As someone who got MAJOR rashes on her hands in chemistry from doing
experiments with alcohols where they were "safe" and you "didn't need to
use gloves" things like this scare me. Some of the hand goos are ok, if I
wash right after using them, but if someone doing bare hand prep like this
uses a brand I react to (I have other chemical sensitivities too), I could
get really sick.

I've worked in a cafeteria where we would go from till to making food, and
we were required to wash up really well, and wear those cheepie plastic
gloves when handling food. We'd grab a new pair every time we washed. I'd
much prefer an investment in those, than ending up sick.

eek,
kris