[Sca-cooks] tart crusts/pans

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 14 19:55:10 PST 2003

Johnnae llyn Lewis replied to me with:
> Well, way back in the mid 1970's just after
>  not-so Fabulous Feasts made its appearance,
> there were a number of these pies served at Midrealm feasts.
> Cosman offers Live Frog and Turtle Pie on page 204.
> I can remember frogs and it seems to me that mice
> were also served.

Oh! I guess I had a reverse "You Know You're in the SCA when..."
moment. I wasn't even thinking about the SCA. Hey, I'm an SCA newbie.
I've only been in since late 88. I guess I forgot that the SCA existed
in the 70s. I thought you were talking about mundane dinner parties or
state dinners when you said head table. I take it, (now) that the Williams-
Sonoma pan set was not sold specifically as a pan for making removeable
crust pies.
I'm not sure how this particular pan helps make the lift off top
crusts. But suddenly this idea does sound intriguing. I guess you
could also cook the pie with a top crust, but full of the pie beans.
You then pour out the pie beans and either cut off the top or simply
put/pour the new contents into the pie. Hmmm. Now that could be a real
different eel pie... How long will eels live out of water? hmmm.

> Head tables at State banquets are another subject, but
> I think some of the White House cookbooks would give
> you that information if you are interested.

Sigh. I haven't got the time to investigate the things already on my list...

Stefan

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com