[Sca-cooks] tart crusts/pans

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 15 09:10:48 PST 2003

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Johnnae llyn Lewis replied to me with:
> > Well, way back in the mid 1970's just after
> >  not-so Fabulous Feasts made its appearance,
> > there were a number of these pies served at Midrealm feasts.
> > Cosman offers Live Frog and Turtle Pie on page 204.
> > I can remember frogs and it seems to me that mice
> > were also served.
>
> Oh! I guess I had a reverse "You Know You're in the SCA when..."
> moment. I wasn't even thinking about the SCA. Hey, I'm an SCA newbie.
> I've only been in since late 88. I guess I forgot that the SCA existed
> in the 70s.

Not only did the SCA exist in the 1970's, but we're having a tourney
celebrating the earlier days in the SCA.  The Principality Of Caid Tourney
will be on March 1, autocratted by members of the Brotherhood of the
Blade, and many veterans of those days are expected to attend, even
ones who have not been seen in Caid in a mort of years.

I've been tapped to judge a tourney lunch contest.  I plan to throw
out any entries with documentation beyond "Fabulous Feasts." <GGG>

> You then pour out the pie beans and either cut off the top or simply
> put/pour the new contents into the pie. Hmmm. Now that could be a real
> different eel pie... How long will eels live out of water? hmmm.

We can get live eels at the local Chinese supermarket.  That's a kicky idea.
Maybe we can scale it down [no pun intended] and do this with
goldfish inside of a glass or ceramic container inside of the pastry?

Not as good as Pork Surprise at Angels 20th anniversary though.
Lady Molly lent me one of her baby Vietnamese Potbellied Pigs,
who was munching on the garnish when the domed lid was lifted.
"Underdone pork, bad for the digestion, we'll bring something else!"

Selene Colfox