[Sca-cooks] Re: Safety (now catering gloves)

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Wed Jan 15 08:27:08 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/15/2003 10:38:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kirsten at fabricdragon.com writes:

> now in a related issue
>
> 1. do all of you have some item of garb and/or clothing that is visisble
> for
> crossing parking lots and such (yes i sell reflective trim, but you can
> make
> due with a white tabard)  all the hand washing in the world doesnt keep you
> from getting run over.

No, probably a good idea, but just as hand washing helps keep people from
getting sick at feasts, watching where I am helps keep me from getting run
over.

I'm not trying to be flippant here really... maybe I don't understand the
question?

> 2. do you check to make sure that the kitchen has a GOOD first aid kit
> handy
> at all times? and good means that it has multiple pairs of non latex gloves
> and a CPR sheild.  plus a lot of bandages and burn treatments and such for
> the universal bane of kitchens  the burn and cut hazard.

Our Local Chirurgeon has a good medical box and she keeps it at her pavilion.
I also usually bring along some supplies, like aloe and sometimes some band
aids. We really seldom get hurt around here, again I'm not trying to be
flippant, it's just that a little forethought makes for less injury IMO.

> 3. do you bring extra pot holders?  a shortage of pot holders and so on
> makes for a higher burn hazard.. Alton Brown recomends that you go to the
> hardware store and buy welders gloves, but even a little quilted square of
> heat resistant stuff helps.

Yes, usually... understand, it's been more than a year since I've had
occasion to cook, and I've been recovering from something the Doctors can't
make sense of (BIG surprise there)... But here at least, I've found we have
to bring knives, potholders, dish towels, and whatever we might need, aside
from pots (sometimes) and in at least one case we had to portage water
because a snowplow used the previous week had taken out the water pipe for
the hall... but that's another story<G>.

I guess the point is, like camping, if you think you'll need it, BRING it....

Corwyn

To be humble to superiors is duty,
   to equals courtesy,
   to inferiors nobleness.   __ Richard Saunders (Ben Franklin)