[Sca-cooks] Re: general Safety

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Wed Jan 15 09:13:35 PST 2003

> No, probably a good idea, but just as hand washing helps keep people from
> getting sick at feasts, watching where I am helps keep me from getting run
> over.

oh? never helped me.
i started carrying reflective trim after one of the golf carts at Pennsic
ran me off the road on my way to the port a john.

i have, as a merchant seen cars run over TENTS during set up.. hardly a case
of the tent not watching  where it was going...

i found out by watching that in a lot of set up and take down situations the
cars cannot see people .. and sometimes not tents.. unless they are wearing
*reflective* colors.. such as white.

by the way, a friend of mine was killed crossing a street in a marked
crosswalk... because the car that whipped around the corner "never saw her".
fat lot of good her watching where she was going did for her.

also many of my friends are EMTs and have to put themselves in harms way..
or they work registration at SCA camping events and are too close to
cars....

i dont *ever* want to have to stand by one of you, waiting for an ambulance,
because some person in a car couldnt see you... not again.

it has been my lot in life to have too many of my friends die or be hurt
because of accident or overlooking safety.. never again.... not if i have
anything to say about it.

remember.... red is invisible to most people after dark, your screamingly
red jacket is NOT going to help you unless it is also reflective.
Kirsten "i worry about you, wear a reflective sweater"
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com

"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."