[Sca-cooks] cooks first aid kit- the Chirurgeon speaks...

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Jan 15 23:21:09 PST 2003

I always have my jump kit with me at events, so I don't generally think of
having special stuff for kitchen usage. The Tavern event will be well
covered- I'll be working with Avraham in the kitchen, so we'll have my jump
kit and experience, and his MD at need, for back up.

Most kitchen injuries are burns or cuts, usually more obnoxious than
serious. For them, lots of cold running water, and a bandaid usually
suffuce. Those little finger cotts are nice, too, to protect a small
bleeding cut.

Please don't use oily based medications on burns- the ER just has to clean
them off, and that can be painful.

For a minor burn, cold water is the best bet. I also keep some Solarcaine in
my kit- it really takes the sting out of minor cuts or burns.

Now, this does not mean, if someone just burned themself seriously, hit them
with a fire hose- in addition to the burn damage, you can flay the meat
right off their bones. In a case like that, cover it with a clean cloth and
trickle as much clean, cool water onto it as you can while someone calls 911
You need to cool it off and prevent further damage until you can get further
help. NEVER pop a blister- that just opens up possibilities for infection,
not to mentuin gushes of body fluids.

As far as cuts, immediate pressure, preferably with a clean cloth, and
elevation will help- once you've stopped the bleeding, washing up and a
bandaid are appropriate. Elevating the injury above the level of the heart
helps, too. A serious cut will require the same treatment, but just add
layers of dressing rather than changing them. No tourniquets- pressure at
the appropriate bllod vessels will help stop serious bleeding until the
squad gets there. Above all keep them and yourself as calm as possible-
panic increases the blood rate and pressure, which- guess what-makes them
bleed more.

Slips and falls? Keep the floor clean!!!! Or, if you have a messy area, as I
had when I was essentiaqlly dismantling a cow (ice cubes and water, not
blood and guts) block it off. Good shoes help, too.

I'm likely not a good one to ask about what to keep in a first aid kit
because I keep my jump kit well stocked- further, there are SCA
Chirurgeonate rules about what we can give out, and how. I rather doubt most
of you want the 30 lbs of stuff I carry around ;-) At a minimum, though, I
keep bandaids of all sorts, triple antibiotic, tongue deperssors and paint
stir sticks, assorted tapes, including duct, condoms, sanitary napkins,
triangular bandages, an ice pack, and lots of baggies to make ice packs out
of, assorted dressings, Kling, Ace bandages- lotsa stuff. If you think you
might need something, ask me- I just might have it ;-)

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,