[Sca-cooks] Yet More Food Safety

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Thu Jan 16 09:36:54 PST 2003

At 09:21 AM 1/16/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>A couple more questions:
>
>1)  How dangerous, *really*, are uncooked eggs?  I've
>got all sorts of recipes from only a few decades ago
>that call for them.

Someone more informed than me may provide you with a better answer,
but...  I have never had a problem eating raw eggs, whether via mayonaise,
meringue, chocolate mousse or other like substance.  I think it has a lot
to do with the freshness of your eggs.

That said, I also think that more and more people are becoming increasingly
sensitive to the nasties in eggs, etc.

I would not stop using it, but I'd plaster big signs and warning that such
and such a dish uses raw eggs.  My solution, YMMV

>2)  How dangerous, *really*, is unpasteurized cow
>milk?  Does it just start to go off sooner?

Again, I think it's a question of people having lost resistance to it, in
general.  It's like raw milk cheeses.  Huge debates over allowing it or
not.  But in the end, raw milk cheeses are just *so* good, and nominally
problematic.

As I said, that's my experience and opinion.  What I do for myself and what
I would do in a professional kitchen, and what I would serve at feast are
three different things...  like...  I eat steak tartar that I have made
myself.  I'd not touch the thing with a ten foot pole at a restaurant.  <shrug>

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forthcastle, Meridies
mka Nicolas Steenhout
"You must deal with me as I think of myself" - J. Hockenberry