[Sca-cooks] cooks first aid kit- the Chirurgeon speaks...

bruyere at mind.net bruyere at mind.net
Thu Jan 16 13:48:13 PST 2003

> > most SCA chirurgeons are very good about this, but i have had some..
> > issues.. with mundane medical people trying to put Solarcain or "aloe
> vera"
> > (BLUE aloe vera, which has benzocaine in it) on my burns.
>
> Lets try: WE MAY NOT OFFER MEDICATIONS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

I will qualify that for you in that chirurgeons do not offer medication (and if
sombody with a chirurgeon's badge or identifying themselves as such does offer
meds, they have stepped outside that role and should make that clear. Even if
otherwise they are just a medical layperson with a FA/CPR cards.). The original
statement included both chirurgeons (in the favourable opinion on them) and
modern medical people, which the SCA has no governence over.

> > i have the epi...
> > I had to give my epi pen to a paramedic at one convention because they
> were
> > trying to get someones heart started....and no ambulance or medical
> > anywhere.. just one poor off duty paramedic.
>
> That's one stupid paramedic, unless he's allowed to dispense epi under his
> protocols.

My level is an Oregon EMT-Intermediate and injectable epi (IV or IM like the
pen) is a protocol for me. But pretty much under medical supervision of the on
duty emergency medicine physician at the hospital. Or indirect if specific
conditions exist. We don't diagnosis, we don't prescibe. We apply limited
procedures to specific and limited symptoms.

By the way, for those reading that don't know, epinephrine is the same as
adrenaline. Your body makes it's own adrenaline, we occasionally boost it by
injecting it as epinephrine. And EMTs/Paramedics do not have licenses, like
doctors and nurses do. We are certified by the state in certain skills and
operate under the local supervising physician and his license. And they do
review the case reports, along with our own peer EMTs.

> Probably did, or his heirs might very well have sued you and the paramedic.
> Using meds prescribed for someone on a person for whom it's not prescribed
> is a major no-no.

Interesting point, but the epi we carry on the rescue and ambulance rigs isn't
prescribed for anyone, either. At no heart beat, it's not going to get much
worse. Depending on _where_ he is, and even if he's in his own jurisdiction, his
actions may or may not be illegal, and may or may not be unethical. We

As to your position on AEDs, I can agree with you and disagree with you on
points, but this whole is leaving medieval cookery and the SCA, and entering
into modern emergency medicine. I can give opinion on fire dept personnel and
EMTs-Basic/Intermediate in Oregon. But I can't really speak in specifics on PMs
and in other states. I won't even speak on SCA chirurgery except how it's
crossed into the legal responsiblities of a seneschal, as I'm not a warranted
SCA Chirurgeon at any level.

Edouard