[Sca-cooks] deep frying

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 19 19:54:29 PST 2003

On 19 Jan 2003, at 20:58, El Hermoso Dormido wrote:

> However, I do recall seeing that the online translation of deNola's
> Catalan "Libre del Coch" implies what I would consider "deep" frying.

> The "Oranges of Xativa" (which I've taken to thinking of as
> "cheesecake fritters"), according to the translation, mention
> that the dough "goes floating" in the oil or fat.  While that doesn't
> necessarily mean a "deep" pot of oil, it does imply enough oil to
> submerge the fritters, so it would technically be "deep frying".
>
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados1-art.html
> (recipe #133)
>
> So, presuming the translation is correct (Yo no habla Espanol) there
> was at least deep-frying in Early 16th-century Catalonia...

Speaking as the translator, I can tell you that the original Spanish
is "va nadando" which literally means "goes swimming".  The latter
phrase is what Vincente used in his translation of the same recipe.
 Six of one and half a dozen of the other, as they say.  In either
case, the implication is that the fritters are not merely covered by
the oil, but suspended in it.

> signed,
> El Hermoso Dormido, who just DID a bunch of deep-frying for a feast
> this weekend...

Brave man...

Brighid, baking cookies

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom