[Sca-cooks] deep frying

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 20 07:49:34 PST 2003

Greetings,

Jumping into the frying pan ;) In the Welserin Manuscript there is a great deal of frying going on. I haven't figured
out if the following "puff" repipits mean deep fry as in put the fruit in the batter and drop into the fat - they will
sink to the bottom and "rise up" to the top when they are done. Or if they are talking about a shallow layer of fat and
the "rising up" is that they "puff up".

101 To make apple puffs
Then put flour in a bowl and put some fresh spring water therein. It should not be too thin. And beat the batter very
carefully, thin it after that with eggs, and when you put the thin apple strips in the pan of butter, then shake the pan
well, then they rise up.

165 To bake sour cherry puffs
Take hot water, lay fat the size of a walnut into it, and when the fat is melted, then make a batter with flour, it
should be thick. Beat it until it bubbles, after that thin it with egg whites. If you like, you can also put a few egg
yolks into it. Tie four sour cherries together, dip them in the batter and fry them. Shake the pan, then they will rise.
The fat must be very hot.

166 To bake puffed apples
Take milk with a little water in it and heat it well, until you can still just stand to dip a finger into it. Make a
firm batter with flour, beat it until it bubbles, lay eggs in warm water and thin the batter with them. Cut the apples
in circles and as thin as possible, draw them through the batter and coat them with it. Shake the pan, then they will
rise. And the fat should be very hot, then they will be good and rise nicely.

But with this one I think might be deep frying. She specifies that you need a deep pan.

140 Apple pillows
Take good apples, peel them and cut them into four pieces. Take flour, eggs and water and salt, make a batter, not too
thin , pour the apples into it and put fat in a deep pan. When it is hot, put the pieces into the fat, until the cake
rises, let it fry slowly. Turn it, let it also fry on the other side, then it is good.

Of course, all of this could hinge on the translation. There are several other fried recipits, one day I will try them
out.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva