[Sca-cooks] School Food OOP

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Jan 22 12:40:23 PST 2003

Ooh. School lunch. :-P

I packed a lunch from home until 5th grade (and I still am not fond of
peanut butter sandwiches and red delicious apples). In Middle School the
food was edible, mostly. The macaroni was suitable for use as hide glue
(maybe it was made of hide glue?) and when one of teh boys managed to throw
his (it would peel up in one big blob) onto the ceiling, it stuck, and
didn't come down for weeks, the the janitor finally noticed it. But the
chili was good, and the desserts were great.

The cafeteria at Sumner High school served just about teh same stuff,
though they were making valiant attempts at 'teen-friendly' food- pizza,
tacos, burgers, etc. Ok, mostly.

The year I spent in Hawaii was interesting- the food was mostly new to me
(Portugeuse Sausage? I'd never heard of it) and they had disposable
chopsticks- you had to ask for standard silverware. Most of it was much to
greasy, with far too much salt. But it was really cheap- 40 cents for the
standard lunch, 25 cents for breakfast. And that was 1981. Back in Sumner
the lunches were already well over a dollar.

I honestly have no idea what my kids were eating at school. I was just glad
that I didn't have to make lunches for them while I was trying to get
myself off to class...

'Lainie
-mmm- the lunch ladies made good burritos... deep fried...