[Sca-cooks] Oklahoma Liquor Laws

Wed Jan 29 10:43:45 PST 2003

Since alcoholic beverages are regulated by the states, most "bootlegging"
laws, and I don't know of a state without them,  are actually for tax
evasion and the penalties are usually severe.

Oklahoma is different because the state was dry until the mid-1950's and
bringing alcohol into the state violated the Prohibition laws.  Prohibition
in the state ended when, IIRC, Joe Cannon, a State Supreme Court Justice,
called the commander of the Highway Patrol into his office about a month
before the election and ordered said commander to enforce the liquor
statutes or be in contempt of court.  The state really dried up and
prohibition was voted out.

For another twenty years to drink hard liquor, you had to purchase your
bottle at a package store, take it to a private club, and have the club
dispense it for you.  Then, to improve conference business, liquor by the
drink passed on county option and you could actually buy a drink in a bar.
There were all sorts of dodges to get around the set up laws.

I know a few people who made money in their teens running alcohol into the
state, including one retired Air Force CWO who found his military calling
when he got caught violating the Volstead Act.

Bear