[Sca-cooks] South Carolina Laws

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 29 15:55:11 PST 2003

Yes, they serve sacramental wine in morning services, but they can't buy it.  As a matter of fact, most of the rural churches have a "wine lady" who makes the sacramental wine from a recipe handed down through the generations.  They have to have a special dispensation to make it for other than personal consumption, though.
Mordonna
 Daniel Myers <doc at medievalcookery.com> wrote:Nah, it doesn't keep you from drinking before voting - you could just
stock up the day before.

It does make it more difficult though to have a couple of drinks after
voting to recover from the stress of having to repeatedly vote for the
lesser of two evils.

Hey ... are churches in South Carolina allowed to serve sacramental
wine before noon on Sundays? Do they need a permit?

On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 03:49 PM, Mike Newton wrote:

> Liquor stores are also closed on election days {I
>> guess to keep you from using a bottle of Jack to buy someone's vote}.
> Well you are partially right, the law goes back to early america when
> the
> Tavern was the center of activity. Candidates or Party bosses in the
> town
> would literally buy votes of the immigrants who couldn't speak English
> by
> purchasing spirts for them and once drunk getting them to vote for
> them or
> their candidate. It is a Very good law in my opinion as one should be
> sober
> when casting a ballot.
>
> Thorbjorn
> Northshield