[Sca-cooks] Food items?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 1 11:55:49 PDT 2003

AEllin Olafs dotter wrote:
>I am now the proud possessor of sliced dried galangale. I remember a
>discussion of the impossibility of grinding dry hunks of the stuff, and
>presume that's why it is sliced very thin. Now I need to figure out what
>I am going to do with this.

Dried sliced galangal can be used in Thai soups, such as Tom Kha Gai
(kha is the Thai word for galangal). It's chicken soup with coconut
milk in the broth, chunks of chicken, floating slabs of galangal, and
lots of tasty spices.

I suppose you could also try grinding it to use in Medieval cooking.

>I also  have a cylinder of sugar. It's from Indonesia. The label says
>Gula Jawa, which might be the product and might be the brand, and
>there's a sticker on it that adds Sudah Disaring BERSIH.   What does
>this tell me? (Anahita??)  It says the ingredients are Arenga sugar and
>Cane sugar (which doesn't tell me much more than the Indonesian...
>what's Arenga? OK, Cane, I know.) Comments? Information?

"Gula Jawa" means "Javanese Sugar". "Sudah Disaring Bersih" means
"Already Strained Clean". Arenga is a palm, the sap of which is used
to make sugar.

So, what you have is Palm Sugar, one of my favorites. I buy creamy
Thai palm sugar in plastic tubs and eat it with a spoon. (well, ok,
not often, but when i have it...)

It's great for making Sri Kaya, a coconut milk, egg, and palm sugar
pudding, I'll find a recipe and post it...

Anahita