[SCA-cooks] medieval herb garden

Diana Skaggs liadan at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 1 13:58:00 PDT 2003

Having some knee problems myself, I googled for "handicapped gardening tools." I found some wonderful raised boxes for growing in and hand gardening tools with larger, softer grips for arthritic hands.  IIRC, there were also samples of tools available with straps for people with palsey or a tendency to drop things. I dream of having some of these things as well as a place of my own to put them.

Liadan - getting really tired of apartment living

Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
My arthritic parents have an herb garden set upon table legs, so they can do a
little gardening
and feel the earth between their fingers without hurting their knees. More or
less like a standard table in construction, with a kind of plastic mesh, finer
than needlepoint canvas, inside the tabletop frame. We live in Los Angeles,
California; in hardier climes, it seems to me that this kind of garden could be
brought into a sun-room for wintertime with the rest of your potted plants.

Selene Colfox
selene at earthlink.net