[Sca-cooks] subtlety and drink contests at Pennsic

Melissa Kacalanos mkacalanos at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 27 15:22:16 PDT 2003

Good gentles,

My patron, Baron Guillermo Bardicci, has asked me to advertise two contests,
which will be held during Pennsic, and I will endeavor to do his bidding.
Let me emphasize that when the Baron promises prizes, he delivers actual,
beautiful silver, made by fine silversmiths in period styles.  The Baron
freely shows his largesse to very many cooks, brewers, musicians, dancers,
courtesans, mercenaries, assassins, and artists of all sorts.  (I should add
the warning that I do not advise anyone to attempt to steal from Baron
Bardicci, as anyone who has heard the ballad of the late, lamented, Eric
Kyle should know.)  Parties at Casa Bardicci are always delightful, full of
elegant music, art, food, drink, and intrigue.

Feel free to forward these announcements to anyone you think might be
interested, including relevant cooks and brewers lists.

Melissa the Loud
bard of Casa Bardicci

------------------------

All ye Makers and Patrons of the fine arts of table and board: Take Heed!
His Excellency Guillermo Bardicci, a humble citizen and court Baron of the
fair Sylvan Lands of Aethelmarc, petitions your attention.
Continuing in his ever-expanding patronage of the arts and in celebration of
thirty profitable years of war, Baron Bardicci once again sponsors a Grand
Subtlety Competition and Exhibition at this year's Pennsic War, open to all
denizens of the knowne world.

A subtlety is an extravagant comestible designed to delight and deceive the
senses.  An ornate and edible artform often served at the culmination of a
feast or as part of the desert remove, it is the centerpiece of the
sideboard.

All entries will be accepted on Thursday morning of War Week and shall be on
display throughout the day during the open house of Casa Bardicci
accompanied by period entertainment and gracious hospitality for all
visitors.

Contestants should consider that this competition will take place at Pennsic
where amenities are at a minimum.  Field subtleties that can stand up to the
rigors of war are highly recommended.  Entrants may wish to consider that
their creations will be displayed in a late-period Italian villa, amidst an
opulent Venetian board.  Imaginitive and well-researched works are highly
encouraged.

Each contestant will receive a silver coin for entering our contest and the
populace shall choose up to a dozen winners to receive more silver and an
invitation to the Baron's High Society Soiree in Honor of the Arts.  Two
entries shall be chosen from among the finalists to be awarded highest
honors and receive a period silver spoon hand-crafted by Master Erwillian
MacFergus.  Three others will receive hand-crafted silver ring brooches.

Royalty, Peers, and other influential Personages and Patrons of the Arts
shall view and consume the exhibition at his Excellency's High Society Arts
Party in the full splendor of Casa Bardicci at night.

Contact Master Erwillian at (607) 798-0873 for further consultation.

------------------------

Knowne Worlde Drynke Makers Contest
During the Open House of Casa Bardicci

Brewers, Vintners and Meadmakers
Be gladdened of this most excellent opportunity to have your libations
sampled and your reputation raised among the royalty, peerange, and gifted
brewers of the knowne worlde.

All entrants will receive one silver piece per entry of six (drinkable*)
bottles of beer, ale, stout, porter, etc. or one silver per entry of two or
more bottles of (drinkable*) mead, wine, cordials, etc.

A qualifying round will be judged by house brewers of Casa Bardicci.  A
second round will be judged by a panel of previous years' winners.

Winners will receive a sack of silver and a commission from Baron Bardicci
as well as an opportunity to judge at the next competition and an invitation
to Casa Bardicci's High Society Soiree.

Please put type of drink, name of brewer, and other pertinent info on
bottle.
Bring entries to Casa Bardicci by noon Thursday.

Competition will be held on Thursday of War Week, between the hours of 12:00
to 4:00 at Casa Bardicci on the Lake.

*If it pleases not the palate of a single one of our judges...  We'll give
back unopened bottles and offer sympathy to your friends.