[Sca-cooks]2 - medieval herb garden

Heleen Greenwald heleen at ptdprolog.net
Tue Jul 1 12:47:36 PDT 2003

What is a Rosa Alba?
I have several mints too and have been enjoying making drinks from them. (ginger, apple, chocolate, spearmint and orange)
What is weld? Do you mean wode?
I have 5 lavender plants (I enjoy lavender so much) and in fact I've named my home 'Lavender Close'.

A rosemary hedge? sounds great!! I don't think in zone 6 (where I am) that rosemary is a perennial.... oh well,. I enjoy it while it is here.
Phillipa

  I don't have a medieval themed herb garden, mostly because I have a lot of
  pots and a small plot right next to the house. I have a red currant bush,
  a black currant bush, lots of raspberries, a Rosa alba (which is finally
  flowering, yay!) and lots of mint (spearmint, peppermint, ginger mint,
  apple mint, chocolate mint). I'm trying to grow weld, for dyeing,
  but the raspberries and mint seem to be shading it a bit too much for it
  to be shooting up to the heights. I tried lavendar, and it seems to have
  kinda sorta come back, but it's not doing well against the mint.

  In pots I have a lot of New World stuff--tomatoes and peppers and squash,
  and then peas, and an eggplant, and lots and lots of basils. My sweetie's
  parents are discussing turning a useless bit of his yard into a larger
  garden, so I'm nudging him on that score because then I would actually
  have the space to grow more stuff. At the moment he has chives and the
  infamous bunny-eating sage.

  Oh, and I have autumn crocus in the front window box, which has marigolds
  in it at the moment as well because I didn't want to be looking at blank
  dirt all summer long. So we'll see if I actually manage to harvest any
  saffron this fall.

  If all goes well with the auxiliary garden, I may try to plant a
  grapevine for verjuice.

  WRT hedges--there's a historical site in (I think) Wiltshire, although it
  may be Somerset) by the name of Donington Le Heath, which started life as
  a 13th c. manor and got re-done at various times during its life. It's
  mostly late 16th or thereabouts, at this point. And they've got a maze
  that when we were there, in 2000, was just planted. They've used rosemary
  for the hedge-y bits, and in that climate it grows to huge proportions. So
  maybe rosemary for the hedges? Practical AND useful.

  Margaret