[Sca-cooks] Cooking Couscous for 200

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 17 14:04:58 PDT 2003

Couscous -- at least the packaged kind I buy -- is precooked, so it doesn't
really need to be cooked further -- just pour on boiling liquid, stir well,
and let it sit. Stir again before serving to break up any lumps. And it
doesn't have to be fixed right before serving, either, as it's good warm or
room temperature. Or you can steam the soaked couscous for a few minutes
just before serving to heat it up again, but I think that would be difficult
to do for 200 servings.

The recipe I fixed last night used about 1 3/8 cup liquid (1 cup water plus
lemon juice, vinegar and oil) to 1 cup of couscous, for 4 side servings. You
ought to get 8 to 10 servings per pound of couscous.

Cynara