[Sca-cooks] question: Medieval restaurant at Pennsic

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Jul 18 18:25:27 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/18/2003 1:46:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Etain1263 at aol.com writes:

> He is very interested in learning if it would be feasible to do a
> totally medieval food vending at Pennsic. (not this year!).  So...I know
> we've
> talked about this, but I don't know what the consensus was.
>  Would people buy period food?

There used to be a place that did sell meat pies and such made form period
recipes, and I remember it being quite well patronized.  While there are
undoubtedly some people who would be leary of it, I think there are quite a number
that would welcome it.

> Would he do better with a push-cart, vending
> around the A&S tents and the battlefields?  Is it even possible for a
> newcomer to get a food vending license?  I don't do any merchanting (I only
> buy), so
> I'm totally clueless.

I have never seen a pushcart there, and I'm not sure how feasible it is given
that he would have to meet all the restaurant requirements for food handling
safety and such.  I mean, I know people do it in cities, I just don't know
anything about the requirements.
It may be possible for a newcomer to get a vending arrangement set up; what
he needs to do is go to the main Pennsic website at PennsicWar.org and click on
the link to Merchants, and get in touch with Cindy Cooper, who is incharge of
that end of things.

>   What about this idea: (OOP)..a pushcart selling frozen snack items (sort
> of a medieval "ice-cream truck")?

That's not going to happen, as the Cooper's store sells ice cream, popsicles,
and such, and I don't think they will undermine their own sales...And there
is already the place doing the snow-cone like items.

Brangwayna