[Sca-cooks] question: Medieval restaurant at Pennsic

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jul 19 21:00:11 PDT 2003

Etain asked:
>   Would people buy period food?
I might but probably not for every meal since I have access to some
camp facilities and a household "meal plan". While I would prefer
period food for every meal, I might not do that if it was more than the
non-period stuff. I would still do it, just not every meal.
> Would he do better with a push-cart, vending
> around the A&S tents and the battlefields?  Is it even possible for a
> newcomer to get a food vending license?
This will depend upon mundane laws as well as the Coopers.
Perhaps he should start out selling snacks or coffee shop things and
then expand to full meals as he learns how things are done at Pennsic
and what the customers are buying. As you mentioned, it is too late to
get into merchanting at Pennsic this year. If he is seriously
interested he ought to show up at this years Pennsic, at least for a
few days. This will help him see what goes on at Pennsic first hand,
even if he isn't merchanting this year.

It also may be easier to get on as a merchant at such events as Gulf
Wars or Estrella than at Pennsic. He could do those first, see how he
likes it, and gradually move up to Pennsic as he learns more or if
spaces are limited, as a Pennsic merchant space becomes available.
> I don't do any merchanting (I only buy), so I'm totally clueless.
I don't think this file has anything specific on food vending, but it
does have comments about merchanting in the SCA.
merchanting-msg   (52K) 11/27/00    Merchanting in the SCA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMMERCE/merchanting-msg.html
>    What about this idea: (OOP)..a pushcart selling frozen snack items
> (sort
> of a medieval "ice-cream truck")?
Since the Coopers sell ice-cream at their store, I doubt they will
allow this. I also think that while blanket merchants are allowed at
Pennsic, I'm not sure any wandering merchants are.
I really would prefer a period item. I highly applaud the lady that
started selling comfits and other medieval sweets at Gulf War this
year. I think she may be at this next Pennsic.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com