[Sca-cooks] Getting the most use out of a particular food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jul 19 23:55:42 PDT 2003

Sharon suggested various ways to save some money when cooking feasts
and said:
> ***Nonfood***
> Cutting out the bad places in fruits and vegetables and using the
> throw away
> scraps to make compost.
Ummm. Let me make sure we are understanding exactly what you mean here.
When you say compost, are you talking about using them in the garden to
create new soil? Or are you talking about the medieval food, basically
a pickled fruit/vegetable mix? I think this is similar to modern
compote. I assume the former of the two definitions. You did say
"non-food". You want to use fruits and vegetables at their prime for
the medieval compost and certainly not the bad pieces.
If this medieval compost is new to you, perhaps this file in the FOOD
section of the Florilegium might be of interest:
compost-msg       (35K)  3/27/01    A pickled food of fruits and
vegetables.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/compost-msg.html
Stefan
--------