[Sca-cooks] dried squid flakes

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sat Jul 26 05:22:38 PDT 2003

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Rosine commented:
>>*Having mistaken dried squid for parmesan cheese at a Yokosuka "Shakeys
>>Pizza Parlor", I've never touched or been where I can smell the stuff since.
>>Traumatic, it was.
>Oh? This sounds like it could be very interesting. I can think of
>several dishes this might be good sprinkled over, including pizza.
>This is the first I've heard of such an item. Does anyone know where
>you can get this, besides Shakeys, which I've never seen around
>here. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for this next time I go
>ethnic grocery exploring.
>Stefan

I assume it's a Japanese item, and it may also show up in Korean
markets This based on the name Yokosuka, plus a Japanese tendency to
use such items sprinkled on rice -- I keep a can of Japanese rice
topping in the house, a slightly sweetened mixture of shredded, dried
seaweed, some kind of dried fish flakes, and sesame seeds-- ,
combined with the fact that I haven't seen this product in Chinese
markets. Not even shredded Chinese squid jerky is particularly stinky
(my lady wife's comment on the latter being, "Well, what _ELSE_ would
you eat at the movies???")

Chinese dried squid has really no really discernible odor, not even
while it's being reconstituted for use. The Japanese stuff may be
cooked in dashi or something, before drying, which might account for
it.

What I find interesting is the likely percentage of people in Asia
that would be totally grossed out by Parmigiano (we won't even go to
Pecorino-Romano). But then I suppose the ones that are eating
Shakey's Pizza are that percentage that probably have no problem at
all with Parmigiano.

Adamantius