[Sca-cooks] professional cooks-- reality check wanted

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Tue Jul 29 06:54:26 PDT 2003

Also sprach <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>:
>Hi Guys... can i get some feedback on how much staff and prep time a 'cold
>buffet for 800' would require for a professional? I'm talking fruit,
>cheese, meat (or meat pasties), pickles, bread/pastry, etc. nothing fancy.

Hmmm. It's been a while, but assuming the menu is constructed for
ease of use, I would say, maybe four cooks, one or maybe
one-and-a-half eight-hour days. Maybe three cooks, two work-days,
total. This is partly because professionals are presumably using
their kitchen facilities all the time and don't have room for long
storage of so much food. This also assumes the food is delivered, not
shopped for; shopping would pad the total time somewhat, obviously,
and then there's the paperwork. I think really dedicated, "pomped-op"
professionals could do it with fewer cooks in fewer hours, but on the
average, the above is my guess.

Are you making out your bill for Eisental? ;-) Whatever it is,
they're getting a bargain!

Adamantius (fellow Silver Crescent who knows darned well why Jadwiga
does these things)