[Sca-cooks] Re: Portuguese recipes

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Sat Jun 21 19:38:21 PDT 2003

Those recipes sound an awful lot like the candying recipes in Martha
Washington, and in the modern preserving books I've read.  Esp the one where you boil
up the preserve every day for 15 days--sounds like the watermelon pickle one I
read but never tried (only that one, you add an extra cup of sugar each day).
 Still, VERY similar.  And yes, there is a temperature in candy-making called
'spinning a thread'--  According to Farm Journal's Homemade Candy Book:
"Soft-Crack: Syrup forms hard, but not brittle, threads rather than a ball (270-290
* F). For toffees and butterscotch.  Hard-Crack: Syrup forms brittle threads
that break between your fingers. (300-310* F) For brittles, lollypops and
caramel or candy apples."
     Yrs, Devra

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com