[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 1, Issue 3544

tracey sawyer tfsawyer at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jun 22 02:34:23 PDT 2003

14. Re: Cheese Question (Sue Clemenger)

I have a really easy cottage cheese recipe - well it's actually crowdie which is a cream cheese ...

2 litres milk

600 ml  cream

Salt to taste

Herbs (optional)

Allow your milk to ripen (that is turn sour and begin to thicken) (say 36 hrs depending on the weather - it was autumn in Australia, so mid teens Celcius)

Add the cream, leave another 12 hours

Put into a cheesecloth and drain (I tied it to my rolling pin which I balanced on a bucket).  Drain off the whey (don't waste it, you can use it in bread making or mix it in with your chooks food - they love it)

When it stops dripping (say 12 -24 hours) add a bit of salt, taste it, add a bit more, taste it - until it tastes right.

Plain it is delicious on toast with jam

I added garlic and mustard seed to 1/3 of mine - Mmmm! very nice on bikkies... and I added mixed herbs to another 1/3 which was also tasty... experiment with other flavours.

IT IS DEAD EASY - and takes about 30 minutes spread over a week!!!.

Luv, Lowry

  Lady Lowry ferch Gwynwynwyn ap Llewelyn   mka: Tracey Sawyer